The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a unique nine-digit number assigned to one person. If you are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or temporary resident, you need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada or to access government programs and benefits.

What you need before you apply
To apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN), you must provide a valid primary document that proves your identity and legal status in Canada.
If the name on your primary document is different from your usual name, you must also provide supporting documentation.
If you are applying on behalf of someone else, you may need to provide additional documentation.

Permanent Residents
Permanent residents must submit one of the following original documents issued by the Canadian immigration authority:

  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence
  • Record of Landing if you arrived before June 28, 2002

The Confirmation of Permanent Residence must be accompanied by a travel document or other photo identification issued by the provincial authority (for example, a driver's license) and is only acceptable within one year of becoming a permanent resident. The Permanent Resident Card is required after this period.

Temporary Residents
Temporary residents must present an original of one of the following documents issued by the Canadian Immigration Authority:

  • Work Permit
  • Study Permit indicating that you are authorized to work in Canada
  • Visitor Record indicating that you are authorized to work in Canada

Supporting documents
A supporting document is a legal document showing your legal name. This type of document is required if the name on your primary document is different from the name you are currently using.

If this is the case, in addition to your primary document, you must submit one of the following original supporting documents with your application:

  • Marriage certificate or other similar document issued by the appropriate authorities to confirm your surname after marriage
  • Divorce decree or similar document
  • Certificate or court order authorizing a legal change of name issued under a provincial change of name act

How to Apply
Apply in person
There is no fee to apply for a SIN and you can apply in person. Simply bring the required original documents to the nearest Service Canada office

Service Canada in Island cities

  • Charlottetown Service Canada Centre
  • Montague Service Canada Centre
  • O'Leary Service Canada Centre
  • Souris Service Canada Centre
  • Summerside Service Canada Centre
  • Wellington Outreach Services

Service Canada Call Centre

  • Toll Free: 1-800-206-7218